slide show

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Another Milestone!



Thursday I reached another huge milestone - 30 weeks! Very very exciting. The doctor is just thrilled that I've made it this far and hopes that we can make it a little while longer. I celebrated my "30th" with a wheelchair ride to the cafeteria and a delicious un-diabetic ice cream sandwich. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Friday I was in high spirits, looking forward to my BPP (bio-physical profile) ultrasound and a fun weekend with a visit from my mom and Aunt Mary. The day passed quickly and the BPP went very well, everyone scored an 8/8. Michael gave us a VERY brief scare again, as his heart rate dropped for a few seconds, but came right back. Thankfully I was at the doc's office so they reacted calmly instead of sending me to St. Louis......and when I got back to my room mom and Aunt Mary were there waiting for us, hooray!

That's when the evening started to get interesting. My doctor wanted to hook me up to the monitor for an extended amount of time, about an hour, just to watch Michael and be sure that his deceleration was a brief blip on the radar. It's perfectly normal for babies to have quick drops in heart rate, we usually don't see them because the babies aren't watched 24/7. So everybody got hooked up, which is quite the adventure, and heart rates were terrific. However, they also put me on the contraction monitor and it turns out I was having lots and lots of contractions! Not really ideal. So they had me drink like a gallon of water, and then pumped me full of IV fluids since the slightest bit of dehydration can cause contractions. That did the trick and things slowed down, but it made for a very interesting night. Massive amounts of fluids = hundreds of trips to the bathroom. Which was a huge ordeal because I was hooked up to a giant 3 port IV stand instead of a normal single drip. Fortunately we all made it through, tired but in one piece, and things have been quiet today.

I celebrated victory over the contractions with a contraband salad from Panera Bread today - so much better than hospital food! And dad sent me a few delicious cupcakes that I've been snacking on here and there, so that helps to brighten the day also. Today's wheelchair ride we attempted to venture outside, but it is so freaking hot that we didn't even get the back wheels out the door before I was ready to come in :) At least I can say I've breathed outside air in the past two weeks now.

I'm looking forward to a quiet Sunday afternoon and Monday, then Monday afternoon I'm scheduled to go for a full ultrasound to get weight estimates and everything. I can't wait to see how big my babies are! Hoping for three pounds but we'll see, I've already learned that they like to surprise me.

Here's a picture of how ridiculous it looks to monitor three babies and contractions at the same time. It's not quite as uncomfortable as it looks, but close!



No comments:

Post a Comment