slide show

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Prematurity Awareness Day

I hope to add another post later today, but I want to be sure I manage to at least get something up in support of prematurity awareness day. One thing I hope to accomplish with this blog is to educate people about prematurity and some of the consequences that premature babies deal with the first years of their life. It is truly a miracle that so many premature babies are able to live normal lives after fighting to hard just to survive their first days.

The most important thing I've learned about premature babies is that coming home from the hospital is not the end of being careful. They have up to three years to catch up on all their developmental goals, including fully developing their immune system. When you see any baby, premature or not, remember that they are fragile and wash your hands before touching them! It amazes me how many people think it is OK to come up and touch the kids when we are at the doctor's office. I probably deal with it more than the average mom because we are quite a sight but it's true for everyone.

Thanks everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment